Visit of the La Sapinière cider farm
Come and discover the ins and outs of cider making at the Ferme de la Sapinière and learn all about the history of apples. You will see how tradition and craftsmanship come together in the savoir-faire of the farm’s landlords.
The visit has different sections :
Introduction to the orchards
- Tree types
- Varieties of apples used
- Their flavours
- Harvesting techniques and season
Tour of the vats and fermentation area.
- Presentation of the different implements used in the production process of juices
- Fruit cleansing
- The scratter
- The conquêt (a large wooden tub in which the pomace is collected before pressing)
- Cider press
- How cider is developed in the vats
- Monitoring fermentation
- How the different varieties of cider are produced (dry, semi-dry, Rivage du Bessin, Verger du Littoral)
- A look into how cider from La Sapinière acquires its natural sparkle
The visit continues with a look into the secrets of the prized AOC label for Calvados and Pommeau de Normandie. Amongst the tuns and oak barrels you’ll discover how these famous alcoholic drinks come to fruition.
The visit winds up with the pleasurable tasting of our apple juices, ciders, Pommeau de Normandie and Calvados …*
Visiting times and dates :
From 1st April to 15th November. English tour at 2 :30 pm every day except on Sundays
Visits and sampling last about one hour.
Price: €3 per person (under 18yrs free)
Booking compulsory for groups of 20 or more.
*Alcohol may harm your health and should only be consumed in moderation.